03:42 PM MDT on Saturday, September 22, 2007
HOMEDALE - Homedale High School students are recovering after a float accident during their homecoming parade Friday. Six students were injured in the float accident and one was taken by Life Flight to Boise in critical condition.
The freshman float came off the hitch from the truck pulling it and then smashed into a parked car. The float didn't even make it to the parade it came loose in route.
Before the football game, the crowd gave a moment of silence for those injured in the accident
It was a very scary time for a community, and especially for nearly 20 freshmen students on the float when it became unhitched from the truck.
"My feet were hanging off the side so I moved into the middle of it because I didn't want to jump off and get my stitches ripped out," float rider Jessica Henry said.
As the float made a turn on its way to the homecoming parade, it crashed into a parked car.
Aiesha Zenor is one of the five students injured.
"I just remember like flying off and sliding on my side and then I... when I woke up or whatever everybody was like screaming and I looked down and my wrist was bleeding and I couldn't move my arm,” Zenor said.
Zenor along with four other of her classmates were taken to West Valley Medical Center in Nampa with minor injuries.
Unlike her classmates, Martha Benitez wasn't able to make it to the homecoming festivities.
She was transported by Life Flight to St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center with a fractured skull, and was later transported to another hospital for further treatment.
Superintendent Tim Rosandick says this unfortunate event clearly had an impact on the day's festivities.
"We care a great deal about our students, and it saddens us that we had this accident today,” Rosandick said. “I am pleased with the kind of reaction that the safety professionals performed for our kids, and I think we've done a good job of responding appropriately."
They built the float Friday morning and Aiesha and Jessica said they had a rough go with the float from the beginning.
When they were welding it together, it caught on fire torching the whole thing. They ended up having to start over from scratch.